Continuum Dance Project, in collaboration with visual artist Myrna Balk, presents a new evening-length dance/theatre work examining contemporary stories of immigration, created in partnership with Pao Arts Center.
Using Balk’s installation as an architectural environment for site-specific movement, this work is a cross-disciplinary exploration on the theme of immigration, further informed by text, images, personal stories and interviews.
To generate source material for this work, members of CDP interviewed immigrants personally connected to them. These immigrants come from 9 different counties including: Colombia,The Dominican Republic, Honduras, Italy, Jamaica, Kenya, Russia, The US Virgin Islands, and Vietnam. Excerpts from these interviews became the foundation of the soundtrack for the piece.
General Touring Specifications
- 35 Minutes
- 5 Dancers
- 1 Wardrobe Team Member
- 1 Lighting Designer/Board Operator
- 1 Company Director
Touring Specifications for Set
- 1 hours per install and uninstall
- Created for proscenium stage, black box theater, and site specific spaces
Crossing: Stories of Immigration is made possible by:
- Premier at Pao Arts Center, June 4, 5, 6, 17, 18 + 19 2021
- Excerpts shown at Pao Arts Center, October 31, 2021
- The Eustice Estate, October 31, 2021
- Experience Chinatown, Pao Arts Center, September 24, 2021